Upfront: /ʌpˈfrʌnt,ˈʌp-/ ‘Bold, frank, honest’
Upfront aims to:
- Bring audiences with complex needs to the front of artists and venues agenda when making and programming work.
- Develop peer learning and support for artists who are committed to making performance for and with individuals with learning disabilities and complex needs.
- Progress and contribute to practice-based creative research, and critical thought in the field.
- Establish a database of artists in the UK and internationally who specialise in making work for and with individuals with learning disabilities and complex needs.
- Provide discussions, debates, sharings and opportunities for networking and collaboration.
- Break down fear surrounding the area by discussing the political, social and practical barriers that may be encountered when making work for this audience.
- Focus on artistic quality and innovation, and to connect with what is at the forefront of contemporary theatre.